Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The art of siesta

Napping has never been one of my strong points. If I nap too long (or what I thought was too long) I get a little cranky, or if I nap too short I get a little cranky (is there a theme here?) What I have discovered is that what I thought was too long is really not long enough. I propose that we institute the Mexican siesta and all go to our respective homes for the hours of 1400 to 1600 and nap.

The house officially became ours last week and we're thrilled. So thrilled I've sent off the furniture pieces we bought last November with a fellow I met in a gallery. I saw some of his art work, including painted furniture, and asked (I think) if he would consider painting my furniture...you know....faux rustic. Neither of us speaks the other's language proficiently and so as I watched my credenza leaving with the words roja, verde, ochre, rustico slipping from my mouth I was wondering if we understood anything the other had said and if I was ever going to see my credenza again. I think I understood that the piece would be done in four days or one week, but who can tell...possibly he was talking months?! We had a couple of windows put into our bedroom last November and yesterday the guy came with the screens so who knows.

It's been great having Tommy, Georgia and Dave here. The wonderful thing about old friends, the kind you share your history with,  is it takes but a moment to be caught up and comfortable with one another...kind of like comfy shoes...but different.

Take a siesta today!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I've always been an expert at the "nap"; in addition I find it quite easy to sleep 10 to 12 hours per day. However I frequently find myself sleeping just five or six hours per day in an effort to get more done. Now that I think about it all of these five and six hour sleeping days are not helping me get anything more done because of all the time I lost earlier sleeping 10 to 12. I'm just catching up.